Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Welcome to the Inaugural Post of Odd Jobs! Putting the 'Recess' Back in Recession



First off, apologies on the "putting the blank in blank" wordplay. It was too terrible for me to resist. Luckily for me, however, "too terrible to resist" is also the theme of this blog.
Here's the idea: as a social experiment, I will attempt to take on 'odd jobs'--jobs specifically designed to be temporary, to not further my career, or that are just plain out-there. Will it spur moving commentary on the state of our economic decline? Probably not, since not even our economic decline itself has really seemed to do that. Will it make for amusing anecdotes at parties? Let's hope so, since that's probably all it could hope to do.
So, you're probably wondering a bit about me. Am I crazy? Independently wealthy? Preternaturally disposed toward doing things I regret? The answer to all these is, to the best of my knowledge, no, though don't read too much into the first question since I am writing this blog as if anyone beyond my immediate friends and family will read this first post.
The truth about me is that I woke up one day and realized I could not go on doing what I was, which was working as an accounts manager at a small tech company. So, I quit my job, heading for a career in freelance writing and willing to take on just about anything in my quest to get there, as long as it wasn't headed towards a career (Editor's Note: if you have a writing or editing job that you would like to hire me for, I am a self starter who is totally looking for a career).
Anyway, enough about me. This blog is about the jobs. Let's let them have the limelight, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment